Saturday, April 19, 2014

It’s Saturday night…I’ve got everything, right?



Welcome ladies and gentleman, boys and girls, teachers and students! Over the next few weeks I will be providing a digital diary of what goes on in my life while in Germany as live with my new host family, overcome language barriers, and travel around the country. It will be interesting to say the least! This is my first time blogging, and I believe the purpose is basically to just talk about my thoughts, feelings, and actions from the day: so I’ll do that! Let’s get this party started!

It’s Saturday evening around 5:03 here in Owensboro, Kentucky. Only 39.94 hours (thank you Siri) until my first flight out of Nashville. It’s such a strange thing that the chance of a lifetime is finally here. It was very difficult to walk out of my cooperating school on Friday, and tell my students goodbye, knowing I wouldn’t be playing “Mornin’ Music” for them on Monday as they worked on their Bell Ringers. It’s hard to wrap my head around the fact that these last six months have gone by so fast since the first time I found out I would have this opportunity. But I can’t get ahead of myself…I still have to pack! I have a history of tending to wait until the last minute on trips to get everything ready, and then checking and rechecking everything in a panic about 1-2 times per hour.

I still tried to make sure I took some time for myself and spend some time with my family before I go. I went turkey hunting all morning today; my family is going to take me out to Moonlite B-B-Q, my favorite restaurant, tonight to celebrate this occasion; and I’m going to see some friends before I leave. I will definitely miss being in the woods, American BBQ, my family, and all my friends while I’m overseas! After that, I need to go to Wal-Mart to pick up some essentials for the next 4 weeks (I mentioned that I procrastinate, right?). After returning home, I have to decide what I can and cannot live without the next four weeks and find a way to cram it all into a suitcase and bag. I’ve been trying to decide what I’ll take with me, as I’ve been advised not to “look like an American.” But I am...so chances are I will still look that way while I’m over there unless I buy all new clothes! I just need to keep in mind not to overpack, I have been warned by everyone who previous traveled abroad that this is one huge mistake to avoid. I guess we’ll see what happens!

So there it is guys, a hectic night full of scrambling to get things together, great friends, and good food. I don’t think I’d have it any other way! I hope I will have some grand stories and experiences to share with you, the viewers, over the next four weeks. I want to give a special shout out to all those who I know will be reading this: my Owensboro High School classes, my family, university personnel, and any others who decide to virtually take this journey with me. Stay tuned…it’s bound to get interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment